Sunday, September 29, 2013

Eva's mothering


I definitely have a question from the reading. It comes from when Eva throws Kevin across the room. First of all, why in the world would any mother do that? Yes, moms get mad sometimes and yell at their children but no one should ever be physically hurt by their own parent. I feel like this impulse of hers to throw Kevin comes from the lack of her base line love for him. Like it was discussed in last class, she never felt this overwhelming sense of love for her own son, something that can’t develop over time. She’s always felt sort of unattached to her son. But I don’t see any excuse to throw a child, not even your own kid, across the room, no matter how annoying or frustrating they are being. Something that I observed from this section of the book is that Eva doesn’t seem to have this overwhelming sense of remorse. She doesn’t completely freak out over what she has done, just simply worries about others finding out about what happened. She seems to be more a more of an emotionally unattached and disturbed woman. She even said, “For two seconds I’d felt whole, and like Kevin Khatchadourian’s real mother. I felt close to him. I felt like myself-my true, unexpurgated self-and I felt we were finally communicating.” These are not normal human emotions. If anything, they lean more towards psychopathic behavior and emotions more than anything. I don’t really understand why someone would feel like a “real mother” after throwing the child across the room for something he can’t really control. I think the answer goes back to the fact that she is just not meant to be a mother. When kids are frustrating or a situation is not going well, mothers still have a love for their children that keep them from doing or saying the things Eva says and does. One other thing that really puzzles me is how Kevin so easily lies about the incident, and not just that but how Eva doesn’t fess up to it. Yes, she will seem like a terrible person, but isn’t that something we learn when we’re young? To be honest? Mother’s are supposed to be selfless and that’s something she’s clearly lacking. How does she not feel some sort of guilt for what she has done? 

No comments:

Post a Comment